Tuesday 1 November 2016

Club Search- Heaton Games Society

My continuing search for local games clubs in Newcastle, brought me to Heaton Games Society last week.
The club meets in Heaton on a Sunday from 4.30-9.30 pm. It was only a short 15 min drive from my flat, which was great and very local. I actually ended up attending the club on the same day that I had tried the Northumbrian Adventurers Guild on the Sunday.

Straight off, the club members were very friendly. I wandered into the Community centre bar (another big plus there!) and one of the club members spotted my carry case and directed me to where the club meets. As soon as I entered, I was greeted by one of the club members, who introduced me to a bunch of the other players and helped me to get a game organised.

I was actually able to grab two brilliant games of 40k, both of which will be written up as battle reports in the coming weeks.

When I first arrived, there were a couple of players setting up for a game of Space Marines vs Genestealers Cult. The Cult player had managed to roll a 6 on the ambush table (allowing him to charge from deployment 3" away) for his Patriarch and Purestrain Genestealers. The Space Marine player was not too worried as he had the first turn. "If you seize, I am going to rage quit this game" he joked. I think we all know what happened next! I don't know how the game ended, but I imagine it was quite a contest.

Overall, I had a great time at the club and had two great games to write up. I will probably be attending the club on a regular basis, along with occasional trips to Durham Raiders for some variety. 

8 comments:

  1. This club would have been useful when I lived there, the grandmother-in-law live just around the corner. Could have dropped the wife off and nipped around the corner, rather then just falling asleep in front of the TV!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't discount falling asleep in front of the TV, it is a valuable hobby.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you found a winner this time. Adjacent bar doesn't hurt either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 15mins is truly excellent to get there! Looking forward to the batreps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First one goes up tomorrow, the Ravenwing take on some Dark Eldar.

      Delete
  4. Glad you found somewhere good sir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice one, i used to live round that area when i was living in Newcastle.

    ReplyDelete