Monday 1 August 2016

Better Know A Blogger- Part 18: Faeit 212

This week's Better Know a Blogger features Gary (AKA Natfka) from Faeit 212

I'm sure that Natfka and his amazing blog, Faeit 212, needs little in the way of introduction. For me, it is my first and only stop for all the latest 40k news and rumours. For years now, my morning ritual has been the same; check my emails, check facebook, check Faeit 212 for the latest info. 

I can't imagine the work that goes into finding all the disparate rumours and news from around the internet, but it is very much appreciated by gamers like me. What I really like about Faeit 212 is it is not click-baity, like other news and rumour sites are. You won't find any "You'll never guess what was spotted at GW HQ this week!?!?! Click to find out more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". What you will find is great and regular updates that actually credit the original source of where the information came from (crazy, I know!). 

Not only is Faeit 212 a fantastic news and rumours site, it also does a fantastic amount of community building. The Faeit 212 Blog Exchange is a must join for any 40k blogger (or any tabletop gaming blog at all). It is by far the biggest traffic source for me of any of the blog networks that I have joined. I frequently scroll through the network at least once a month in order to see if there are any great new blogs that I need to read. 

Another great feature is the "What's On Your Table" posts. In this, photos of gamers' current projects and completed projects are regularly featured. This gives you a chance to showcase some of your work, even if you don't have your own blog or anywhere else to showcase your work. Now could not be a better time to enter, as Natfka is currently looking for submissions for this great series. 

I was fortunate enough to feature once on a Reaching Out post that gives a shout out to blogs when I reached 100,00 views earlier this year. That one small post brought in over 2000 additional hits in just 2 days, which should show you exactly how popular a blog Faeit 212 is. So it is well worth showcasing your own work on "What's On Your Table". 

So here are Gary's answers to my questions:

1. What age did you get into gaming and what started it off?
I got into tabletop wargaming in 1998, when my roleplaying games were at a gaming store ran by a good friend of mine. This led me to really look into games that I saw being played. As far as gaming in general...... well I was playing chess at age 4 or 5. I don’t remember anytime in my life where I was not playing board games, or even early roleplaying games.

2. What was the first model you ever bought/painted?
3rd Edition starter set was my first. Dark Eldar were my obvious choice out of those. I actually bought like 3 or 4 of them, and then many other peoples sprues from that set as my collection got larger.

3. What is your favourite aspect of gaming?
I am a gamer first and foremost. I loved playing competitively for years... and years. Now though, I play a little less, and go through big spurts of painting and modelling. I do love to convert models when I get the chance and have years and years of bits to work off of (don't we all! My bits box is about 18 years old now. It is Scottish, so has been drinking about 5 years now- Mike).

4. Fondest memory in gaming?
That’s the hardest part. Its hard to place that onto the gaming table, but I look fondly back to 5th edition 40k as some of my favorite experiences on the table with 40k.

5. What are you working on right now?
I've got a lot of models on my table, so big projects I'm working on right now include The Genesys Project, my own gaming system (designing your own factions and races), more Imperial Guard and Inquisition. My dark eldar have been shelved for the time being.

6. When you are not conquering the tabletop, what do you do?
I'm a little obsessive. I do a lot of hardcore martial arts, and a lot of fight nights. Of course over the last 6 months I've broken two bones, one of them twice, and dislocated my shoulder during those matches (another person! Quite a collection of dislocations we have- Mike). Other hobbies include my 175 gallon salt water reef tank.

7. What would you say about your blog to someone who has never read it to draw them in?

I've never really tried to push my site (you don't need to when it's that good- Mike). People come in on their own, but I would tell them to be civil in the comments, and remember that everyone here loves tabletop wargaming. Also to remember to always add a little salt and to not get too invested in any one rumor. I do my best to give a little insight on how solid I think a rumor is, but even the most solid source is sometimes off.

8. What is your favourite article that you have written?
I don’t even know or have an answer for this. Really the ones I enjoy the most promote other sites, or hobby related charities.

9. Which rule would you like to see changed or removed entirely?
I will have to say that this is a hard one. With FAQ's right around the corner I'll have to wait on this one. Not to mention 8th edition 40k seems like it's right around the corner.


I am quite possibly going to start playing more Age of Sigmar though, now that points are out. No points was always a poor design choice in my opinion. It doesn’t mean that point costs for two armies on the table need to be the same (which was a better way to go), but no points at all was just chaos. I'm also still torn between the old world and the new.

10. Which of your armies is your favourite?
Dark Eldar by far. Its just a sad day for them though, and they collect a lot of dust these days.

11. Secret wargamer or loud and proud? 
Both

12. Tournament or Casual?
Tournament, but a lot less these days.

13. Nintendo or Sega?
Neither

14. Xbox or Playstation?
Neither

15. McDonalds or Burger King?
Neither

16. Coke or Pepsi?

Coke, of course, but I'm trying to stay away from both.

Thanks to Natfka for taking the time to answer my questions. Be sure to drop him an email (natfka@live.com) if you want to join the Blog Network or take part in "What's On Your Table".

If you have a blog and would like to let everyone out there know a little bit more about yourself and maybe even expand your reader base, why not take part in Better Know A Blogger. Drop me an email me at corrm83@gmail.com in order to join in.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the article, I just sent over some Dark Eldar pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faeit 212 has been the best source of traffic for the Roost of Turkadactyl. I started visiting the site in its early days and no other rumour site can compete. Gary is transparent with the rumours and engages the community in the comments section. He has done a lot to build the community. I'm always available for a game when you pass through Edmonton.

    ReplyDelete