Sunday 6 September 2015

Hobby Sunday 30/08/15- Promethium refinery

This week, I began work on a project that I have been thinking about since I made a purchase on ebay. I bought a set of MDF walkways and decided that I would put together a large-scale fuel depo with them. I was also inspired by a page in the first Apocalypse book that showed you how to make some refinery-type storage containers from metal cans and cardboard.
 
I made up a rough plan in my head and got to work putting it into action.


I cut out some card the length and circumference of the food cans I had saved, and made a simple design on them, based on the Apocalypse guide.


From delicious soup to interesting terrain.
 
These were then glued to the cans (with some rubber bands to hold them in place until the glue dried.

 
Next up, I assembled the walkway in the configuration that I wanted to use.

 
 Finally, I put everything together to see how it looked and raided my bits box for some suitable looking extras to add. These haven't been glued together yet, I just wanted to see how everything looked.
 
 



That's where I am at the moment. The next thing I want to do is to cut a base for the refinery. I picked up some plastic sheet with a grid pattern on it that I want to use to line the base and give it a more industrial look.
I really liked the MDF walkway. It looks good and was really easy to assemble. Once it is complete and based, it will make a nice centrepiece or objective for my games.


2 comments:

  1. Really cool looking already! I think when you paint them it will really tie them together and look fantastic for tabletop!, Amazing how the simple bits of card really transformed those cans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob! I've done a bit more work on it since writing this post. It's been mounted on a board which measures 12" by 20" to fit it, so it's definitely going to be a centrepiece for a battle. Will need to invent a scenario for the campaign as an excuse to use it.

      Delete