Wednesday 29 June 2016

Hobby (not really) Sunday! 29/06/16- White Scars Stormhawk Interceptor

This hobby Sunday comes to you on a Wednesday this week (madness, I know!). The reason for this is that I have actually been making a lot of painting progress over the past few weeks and getting several units completed in a single week. Rather than spread out the hobby Sunday posts of do them all in one big dump, I thought I'd add a couple of additional ones.
 
The list submission deadline for Caledonian Revolution was Sunday night just gone by. I had finished painting my proposed army for it, but in a moment of madness, decided to swap out my Stormtalon for the new Stormhawk flyer to give me some added anti-air firepower. The tournament will not be using the Dogfight phase, but will be using the other rules from Death from the Skies (at least I think. The FAQ was not too clear and they didn't reply to my question on facebook). Given this, the Stormhawk would be my only source of skyfire, as the Stormtalon would now lose it.
 
So this meant I needed to get the Stormhawk painted. Fortunately, the weather was nice at the weekend (allowing me to undercoat it) and there were three games of football on Sunday that I could watch while painting. As a result, I managed to get the Stormhawk completed over the weekend. I had previously magnetised the weapons to allow me to use all the options.

I started by undercoating the flyer in white (after remembering to cover my magnets in bluetack) and gave it a wash of Agrax Earthshade.


I then gave the hull a drybrush of Ulthuan Grey, followed by a couple of highlighting drybrushes of Scar White.




The metal areas were then undercoated in Abaddon Black.



The red areas were given a basecoat of Carroburg Crimson. As you can see in the photo below, I had a slight mishap when painting on this layer. This is annoying, as it takes about 5 coats of White Scar to fix any mistakes I make during painting!

I then painted the metal areas with Leadbelcher, followed by a wash of Nuln Oil to dull them down a bit. The red areas were then highlighted with Evil Sunz Red. I then finished it off by painting on the other details such as yellow fro the lights and gold for the icons.

I then added some transfers and the model was complete in under 24 hours!



Here you can see the completed flyer with all the weapon options thanks to my magnetising it.


















So the Stormhawk is complete. I will continue with my White Scars in the hope of finishing all the models I have left to paint for them.

18 comments:

  1. That's a really nice looking model! It's crisp but you've kept the painting simple. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good. I think one of the reasons it comes out so well is that the red and the dark metal areas make such a strong contrast that any minor imperfections in the white just get sort of washed out, even to the eye. I need to think about that next time I've got my Tau up on the painting table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The strong contrast against the white does work quite well.

      Delete
  3. Looking good pal, looking forward to seeing it on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I've got it in my upcoming tournament list, so looking forward to seeing how it performs.

      Delete
  4. Nice! I'm happy to hear that you included it in your list, I'm sure it'll do very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, just depends if I come up against many other flyers.

      Delete
  5. Good job dude! Your white scars colours really suit that model, looks lean and mean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors DO suit it well - but I'm not sure about the 'lean' - I was gonna say looking at it from the top it looks like more of a bumblebee imo :D

      Delete
    2. @Chris: It's better than the StormTalon, at least. That's always looked to me like some cartoon flyer that slowly putputputs across the sky ;)

      Delete
    3. Ahahaha that is a VERY funny image :D Now I'm thinking of the dwarven gyrocopter.

      Delete
  6. Sweet work, nice red panels too, and speedy work. Just needs a touch of black inside the Lastalon barrel mate ;) Photos always show you something you need to touch up, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh, the joys of miniature photography ;-) Looking great mate; there is so much dakka crammed in that one fighter!

      Delete
  7. The wash/dry brush worked out well on the white. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but did you add a matte finish over the decals? One of the pictures had it standing out pretty good, but it also helps protect it from flecking off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. No, I did not add a matt finish, but it might be worth investing in some. Is GW's Ardcoat suitable? It would certainly help for the transfers on my shoulder pads.

      Delete