Monday 15 February 2016

Rhino Cake!

A while ago, I wrote a random post on different cakes that I had made over the years. I really enjoy baking and wondered if I could combine my hobbies of baking and 40k. I decided to have a go at an ambitious project of making a Rhino in cake form. So, this weekend I decided to give it a go as I had bought the icing fondant a while back and it was quickly going out of date. Below are the photos of my weekend baking.
 
What I am aiming for (kind of).

The cake is a chocolate sponge with chocolate icing (from the Great British Bake Off book).
The basics are made.

The sponge is cut to size.

Icing the Chassis.


Side of the Chassis.

First layer of icing.

Adding the front detail.


Rear hatch complete.


For tactical marines.


Adding detail to the side.


Ultramarines symbol added.



Almost done.


The finished vehicle.



I added little rivets (round cake toppings) with some tweezers.


Size comparison with one of my White Scars Rhinos.

 
Hope you liked it, I'll let you know how it tastes when I get round to eating it (hopefully not all by myself!). 


19 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Looks amazing. How it tastes is a very important question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha how cool is that :D Wrong color tho :P Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only had blue icing to work with! Next time, I'll do a proper Dark Angels one.

      Delete
  3. Looks great, dude! It's too bad fondant isn't as good taste-wise as it is for decoration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, people complain that most of my cakes are about 50% fondant most of the time.

      Delete
  4. You need to send that to White Dwarf Daily ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great, and also the right size for a true scale rhino :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Don't forget to eat it in the name of the emperor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cheaper than a GW one? if the opponent scores a hit does he get a slice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, forget how much all the ingredients cost. I guess he gets a slice for each successful hull point. Might cause them to focus on the Rhino and leave my nicer stuff alone.

      Delete
  8. I love the detail you did on the hatches and the exhaust :-) Bravo!

    ReplyDelete